Sunday, June 7, 2009

"50 Marathons in 50 Days"

I'm reading the above titled book by ultrarunner Dean Karnazes and it's great, I would highly recomend it. While not a brilliant writer stylistically - I'm being polite there - Karnazes manages to pack in a lot of useful advice and insights into how to run long distances successfully. Asides from the very impressive feat of running 50 marathons in 50 consecutive days without dying or suffering severe injury, which makes for an interesting story and entertaining read.

Here is a short piece from page 94 that details 4 running tips from the legendary running coach and Nike founder Bill Bowerman:

1. Obey the hard/easy rule. You'll build fitness faster if you do three hard runs and three easy runs per week than if you do six moderate runs.

2. Practice rational goal setting. Set goals that you are confident you can attain, but aren't certain you can attain.

3. Treat yourself as an experiment of one. Don't blindly copy the way others train. Try new workouts and methods often, keep those that work for you and discard the rest.

4. Train at your goal pace. If there's a certain time you want to achieve in a race - such as a 4 hour marathon - figure out the pace you need to sustain to achieve it and include workouts at this pace as a regular part of your training.

I think the latter two points are especially useful.

5 comments:

  1. So wish I had read that book earlier. I learned all those lessons the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea that's a great book. i read it last year. amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book. I will definitely give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes he's a bit arrogant at times but you can tell he knows what he's talking about, and it is a good story with lots of useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip. I will definitely add the title to my shoppingcart on my next trip to amazon.com.
    The points from pg 94 look useful, and I can imagine the rest being so too.

    ReplyDelete