Sunday, June 7, 2009

13.1 miles at 7:02 pace

I had a good solid tempo run Saturday morning at Wetlands park. My goal was to run 7 min miles and then drop to a fast pace at the midpoint for a mile, and then see if I could return to tempo and finish at pace. My splits were: 7:05, 7:02, 7:00, 6:54, 7:01, 7:04, 7:01, 6:20, 7:02, 7:00, 7:03, 7:15, 7:35. So the mile 8 drop to 6:20 felt good and I was able to hold on until the last mile or so when the heat began to get to me. I feel good about this run and felt great afterwards.

My near term goal asides from the possibility of running a tri relay is to get comfortable with 7 minute pace with occasional dips down to 6+ territory. I would like to be able to dip down to 6 at least three times in say a race like a half marathon. This training in my mind would make it possible to accomodate a few large hills and a strong finish. In other words I want to be able to nail 7's which I feel is a very natural and ideal pace for me, but to also train so that I have a reserve that allows me to break out from time to time as race conditions merit.

This is my near term goal and I feel if I can make that happen I will be a stronger distance runner and chalk up some solid PR's.

No comments:

Post a Comment