Monday, March 30, 2009

10 miles at 6:58 avg pace

A nice mix of running today, starting with 4 miles at the track, 7 fast laps interspersed with 9 slow ones. Then a 6 mile run at the park with the running group, for a total of 10 miles at 6:58 avg pace:

Garmin connect

It was good to finally get some speed work in, I've been putting it off for several weeks now, and at this point, it's the only way I'm going to get faster.

I was supposed to go to North Carolina and see family and run the Raleigh Rocks half marathon this past weekend but fate intervened. Or perhaps more accurately, my supervisor denied my request for time off for some inexplicable reason, and I decided that now would not be a great time for me to risk my job for a race and a family visit. It was a disappointment, but another race will come along shortly, and I am maintaining my training regimen and feel confident in my ability to hit new PRs and maintain top form.

I feel strong and fast these days. My diet is not as good as it could be but my training is as consistent and close to the "edge" as I have ever been. I've also maintained my 2 to 3 trips to the gym per week to focus on leg lifts and core, and have felt results there. Also my recent decision to avoid upper body exercise seems to be paying off with less top side bulk and a smoother running form.

So despite some setbacks, my running life is going well.

4 comments:

  1. Great run! I like the idea of doing a speed session before a 6 miles run.

    Good call on the job-decision. Pity that you didn't get to see the family though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel your pain, mike. since i had a big bike ride saturday, my diet has gone to shit. schedule is all screwed up too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike

    Wow, you are really getting fast. If you can get your endurance up to maintaining that kind of pace for more miles, you are looking at getting that sub 3 marathon.

    Really enjoyed looking at your Garmin numbers and it looked like a really nice 10 miler.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - I am trying to juggle everything else in life while maintaining a strong running regimen - but it can be tough! So much other stuff going on right now!

    ReplyDelete