Sunday, March 15, 2009

Weekend of March 13 through 15 Workouts


On Friday the 13th I did a simple easy 60 minute run at Wetlands Park because I'd had a long week at work and that was all I felt like doing.

On Saturday I volunteered at a marathon in the morning, which was fun. In the afternoon I borrowed the Garmin of a friend and was able to maintain a 7 minute pace for 13 miles to chalk up a 1:30 hallf marathon time on the streets near my house. The Garmin seems an incredibly useful tool and I will need to get one soon - being able to nail down consistent 7 minute miles one after the other is huge. I was very heartened by this discovery.

On Sunday I did a relaxed 10k trail run with running group friends. In the evening I went down to a local high school track and did 3 fast 400 meter sprints with one rest lap between each. By fast I mean fast for a relatively slow distance runner type, with 86, 81 and 88 second splits.

I think I'm on the the right track with training overall, emphasizing quality, strong legs, core, interval sprints - the kind of stuff that should show results on the race course.

PS - Gotta get a Garmin!

No comments:

Post a Comment