Sunday, March 1, 2009

Why I Run

It's nice that most races are for charities, and for the social aspect of finding a group of like minded individuals.

But mostly I do it because I like to be fast. I love to open it up. I love to cruise along and push to a higher pace and feel that gradually become natural, to sprint for 100 yards in the middle of a 12 mile run because you can, to be harder better faster stronger, to overcome the dull muscle ache, to go out on a still day and be shocked at how hot it feels when you slow down and realize you've been creating your own breeze. I love all of that.



On the way to 2nd place at a Lake Mead half marathon

5 comments:

  1. Great post! Yes, running does tend to make me feel good as well. It's made me feel so much stronger, especially when I realize that most people I know could not run the distance and pace I do.

    Great B/W pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike

    I also do it because I like to be fast. It is a bummer to spend the winter months on a treadmill, but it only helps me to go faster when I get back outside.

    Great pics and congrats on the 2nd place.

    You even look fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good race! 2nd place in a half is really fast. i'm trying to get faster these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Yeap, yeap, and more yeap. I don't know how fast is fast because it is such a relative concept, but in my mind, when i'm training hard and breathing easy, I feel an exhilaration knowing in my mind, I'm the fastest human alive. Haha!

    Great race...2nd place...that's about 5 places I've ever placed...and that's only in my age group. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the positive comments. One of the cool things about running is that even though I know that there are many many runners faster than me, when I'm out on a run and pounding away, it feels like I'm superfast, like Phidippides after the battle of Marathon, and that's all that matters to me.

    ReplyDelete