Friday, March 27, 2009

10k at 41:44

Another 10k PR - if I ever get on a flat course I think I'll be able to make a real run at breaking 40. More track work would probably help. It was a moderately windy but very pretty day at about 65 degrees on this run with the Village Runner folks.

On Saturday I'll be running a 5k with the Las Vegas Track Club. Since it will be a hilly course I'm not aiming for a PR, more the 19 to 20 minute zone.

My body is used to longer distances now and it's very difficult for me to get warmed up and up to speed quickly enough to nail a fast pace in a 5k.

I don't even feel on target until about the 30 minute mark these days. Looking at my splits from today, I started at 7:01 and gradually dropped it to 6:26 by the final mile:

Workout Mile Splits

So I definitely take some time to hit my stride.

I suppose a good warm up before the race Sat will help, with some sprints and a lot of stretching, which I never do. Also some coffee to jumpstart the motor.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the sound of it, you need a good long warm-up run before doing a 5 K.
    It feels kind of bizarre to go for a good 10K warm-up for a 5 k race :-D

    Still, you pace is the stuff I only aim for in my wildest hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your P.R. I agree that you'll get under 40 if you ever get to run a flat course. I think the shorter stuff is much harder than the longer races depending on whether you've emphasized speed vs endurance in your training. I find that I have to do many more short track repeats when I'm preparing for 5K vs long tempo runs when training for marathon. What gives?

    Still, great job on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You've had some really successful runs/races lately. Keep up the good work! It's shaping up to be a great spring for you! Hope the rest of us can be so lucky. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the positive words.

    A 10k warm up for a 5k race? You know you're right Count, it does seem bizarre. And yet it may be true.

    Lam - yes I've just started with the track works and they are their own peculiar sort of intensity - makes a half marathon seem like such a nice comfortable reasonable race.

    ReplyDelete