Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Track Time

I did my first track workout yesterday after the usual easy Monday 10k training run with the group. 4x400 laps at the track at 88, 82, 89 and 87 seconds. My goal is to do them all consistently at 90 - which would be 6 min/mile pace - and eventually be able to do 12 in a row. The way I run these is one hard lap then one easy, repeat. So my goal workout by say midsummer would be 24 laps, 6 miles, with every other lap at 6 min pace.

I dont feel the need to go faster than 6 min pace because anything faster will probably not help me as a distance runner. I am not a Kenyan!

Asides from that, just emphasizing the legs and core with some quad presses, calf lifts and situps at the gym. No arm lifting, no barbells, no bench. Focus.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like fun, mike. i ran my first interval workout last week, and it was great. you're already pretty fast, and those speed workouts will really make you kick it up into a higher gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work-out after the 10K training. It must be great to be able to run on a track. I do 400 Meter stretches by Garmin, but a track must make life a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree John the speed workouts give you an extra boost and make the longer runs seem easier by comparison.

    Yes Count the psychological factor of being able to see the full distance and end of a 400 at the track is nice. Plus the track I run on is recycled tire rubber so it's bouncy. It's a high school track that is open to the public after 6. Do you have something like that in your city?

    ReplyDelete