Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Easy 10k

Easy 10k at 7:20 pace yesterday, I am sort of easing myself into the heat. I think my plan is to gradually build up to more aggressive paces but only after I've given myself a few weeks to adjust. Also I'm drinking a lot more water, I bring a large frozen 2 liter to work with me and finish it by the end of the day. I'm not a "water drinker" so this is a lot for me.

Another 2 hours at the Venetian last night after work.

The first signifcant hand I had A10 on the button with 4 callers to a small preflop raise and flopped top two pair with two clubs out there. After a small bet, I had one caller, a tight asian lady, very difficult to read. The flush got there on the turn, I made a small bet and she thought about it for a second as if thinking of raising and then just called. I was just hoping for the board to pair on the river, it felt like she had made her flush and was trapping - she checked the river card which did not pair the board and I just showed my two pair. She flipped over a 6 high flush to take it down - perhaps she was afraid I had a higher one, but her soft playing there helped me out. Still, my stack was down significantly after that.

The next hand went better for me. I had JJ and called the preflop raise of the Loose Aggressive Player just to my right. Tight Aggressive Player - a lady from Israel who would only play the stone cold nuts - on the button also calls. Flop is 5 10 J two hearts, the first set I've hit in a long time. LAP bets $25, I think for about 10 seconds and raise to $60. TAP goes out. LAP looks at me and says "Are you betting your flush draw?". I just stare at the pot, annoyed that this big hand is happening with the guy right next to me, too close for comfort. After about 10 seconds LAP raises to $150 and I go all in and he calls. He flips AJ for the case jack, I guess he really did think I was getting a bit desperate and overplaying my hand but he is dominated and I take it down.

Leading up to this I had to throw away a lot of hands hitting no flops and so LAP probably thought he could bully me around by betting big, he had a stack of about $1000 at the time. He was no fool and I can see with top pair top kicker and two hearts on board that he just wanted me out of there.

That said, I don't ever play AJ that hard. That's a hand that can get you into lots of trouble. You hit the ace and someone plays back at you strongly, they can easily have a better kicker and then you're just digging yourself a hole.

After that big hand, about 2 hours of play, I left, up about 200.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I don't know why this has become a poker blog all of a sudden, but since I'm a player...I'm all ears...

    Hand 1: I'm wondering why asian lady would call with her flush draw on the flop if she wasn't going to bet out on the turn or the river. Part of the reason you chase flush draws post-flop is for the implied odds it brings...so if she checks the turn...and sees you checking behind...she has to bet on the river. If she won't bet out on either street, then she should have just folded the flush draw...very passive play in my mind.

    Hand 2: Again, once LAG bets out, and gets raised...what is he thinking? Flush draw...really? And if he was thinking flush draw, he raises and you go all-in...that kind of play really screams a set on a raised pot...I'm very surprised he called your all-in bet there. Wow...good for you.

    Nice recap of your Venetian adventures. I'm glad I don't live in Vegas, otherwise I wouldn't have a day job, haha!

    ReplyDelete