Wednesday, May 13, 2009

60 minutes on the indoor track at 6:52 pace

I took a break from another 98 degree day and ran on the indoor track at the gym after work. 60 minutes at 6:52 pace and the last 3 minutes at 6:00 or so. The indoor track felt nice with its unnaturally optimal conditions of moderate temperature, flatness and lack of wind.

A sign on the wall there says the track is 975 feet and that 5.5 laps make a mile. But when I got home and multiplied 975 by 5.5 I got 5362 feet, a bit over the 5280 that I believe makes up a mile. So I guess the extra 40 yards per mile gets chalked up as conditioning?

Since I was indoors my trusty Garmin was not an option and so to figure the pace I timed my laps - I was maintaining 1:15 per circuit - and multiplied this 75 seconds times 5.5, which equals 412.5 seconds per mile. Divided by 60 this equals 6.875 minutes per mile, or 6:52 per mile. Funny how the basic math of elementary school is so much more useful to me than any Calculus or Algebra I ever learned in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment