Monday, May 18, 2009

13.1 miles at 7:09 avg pace in 105 degrees

When I started out at 5 for a long run in the park, the thermometer at my house read 105, the readout in my car said 106, and my iPhone said 101. Whichever was right, it was damn hot and made for a good conditioning workout.

I find it so much easier to run in a park on a trail. My last couple of long runs have been through the city to the running store to run with the group, and the stop lights are such a drag. They pull me out of my groove and pace, and the car fumes are nasty, and there's always a nagging fear in my head that one of these godawful Vegas drivers is going to flip out and hit me.

So it was nice to do today's entire run at Wetlands park, and allowed me to hit a solid pace and maintain focus despite the heat.

My near term goal is a 7 minute pace for 15 miles on a 90 degree or hotter day. If I could manage that once a week, I feel like I would be in excellent shape to take down my 1:28 PR at the Bryce Canyon half marathon on July 16 and to finish possibly in the top twenty, depending on the field.

I try to think of the heat out here in Vegas as a training tool, a conditioning element, an "edge". Otherwise it's just depressing pondering the reality of how hot it is and will be here for the next 3 months, lol.

3 comments:

  1. Running in a city is only fun when taking one of the off-beat tracks. Sidewalks and fumes do take the fun outof running. Still, there are SO many city runners that seem to put up with it, whereever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want my thermostat to say "too fucking hot, stay inside" sometimes. i def prefer running around a lake or someplace where there are no cars or stop lights to deal with. gotta find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...7 min miles at 100 degrees is like 6 min miles at 70 degrees...I can't even fathom running in temperatures that hot. Good on you man...

    ReplyDelete