Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Setback

Nothing major, I just ran up against a wall recently and had to slow down and reconsider my running goals and the realities of what I will be available to achieve this summer. It finally got hot yesterday here in Vegas, 98 degrees yesterday, and my 10 mile run turned into a sauna. Lots of salt streaks on the Nike cap and tech shirt ;).

For the immediate future 7 minute miles are going to be a much more realistic goal for me than 6:30s.

I've enjoyed reading about the really fast elite runners at the Boston marathon - Ryan Hall was close to being the first American in decades to win it all - as well as the extremely strong efforts by the Laminator, Bill Carter and copia verborum. Good job you guys! That's a real milestone!

4 comments:

  1. holy shit, 98 deg is finally hot? like it was comfortable at 94. i'm pissed we're going to hit 83 degrees on saturday, i wanted to garden all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take 7's! Hang in there, that summer training has got to pay off it the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all is well.

    The 7 min. mile still sounds VERY respectable to me :-).

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your liquid consumption like? I mean, I wouldn't normally take anything with me on a 10 mile run, but with conditions like that, I'd certainly reconsider! Stay hydrated, M!

    ~carpeviam

    ReplyDelete