Sunday, April 12, 2009

15 miles through the Desert



I've wanted to run through the desert dividing east Vegas from Lake Las Vegas for a while now. It's about 7 miles across sand dunes and ATV tracks and I finally did it today, although at a slower pace than I'd hoped - I'm not sure whether this was because I hadn't hydrated well before the run, or if it was the elevation change, or if my recent focus on speed workouts has caused my endurance to drop off some. Also I was uncertain about the exact route so that made it more challenging, almost adventuresome, in a way. The last 3 miles were quite difficult. Regardless, I'm glad to have finally made this circuit happen, and I will keep the run in mind as a good marathon training route. 15 miles at 7:42 pace.

Garmin Connect



Lake Las Vegas - like its namesake, an oasis in the desert

5 comments:

  1. Great run! It must be so great to be able to run through a desert, so close to home. I love the pics, they look great. (So different from NL running tracks)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great run. Sounds it would be such a scenic route. I'm glad you got to finally do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool, man. seems like a good run. Gotta keep that endurance up, though. endurance comes before speed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike

    Very, very cool! I really get into these sort of adventure runs and it certainly adds a different flavor to the routine of speedwork, intervals, hill training, etc.

    Best of luck with your running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would seem hard not to dive into that lake when you arrive!

    Of course, you could ruin Garmin...

    ReplyDelete