Monday, August 10, 2009

Two longer runs

12 miles Sunday morning with the marathon training group (for the Rock n Roll Vegas marathon), a little slower pace than I would normally do but it was worth it for the social aspect.

Then 12.4 miles this morning at wetlands park at 7:10 pace. I felt strong and comfortable for most of it. The hydration belt came in handy one again, I am really getting used to having it on and don't have to fiddle with it as much now. In the final few miles I tried to emphasize better form, lifting my chin, pulling my elbows in - they tend to swing out as I fatigue - and lifting my legs just a bit higher.

I am upping my mileage over the next 5 weeks because the Portland Marathon is only 7 weeks away and I've been letting the heat be an excuse for not getting in sufficient distance. But if I don't address this now it will soon be too late to make a difference. Also running a 12 person relay in southern Utah on Sept 4th and 5th - the Red Rock Relay - and I'll be an anchor runner for them and so I want to be in solid shape for that.

Two nice runs, moderate temps in the 80s, very pleasant experiences, reminds me of why I love to do this. Grateful for my health and a good place to run near to home.

Garmin Connect

6 comments:

  1. Running with a fuelbelt does take some getting used to. Still, as soon as you have gotten used to it, it is very comfortable.
    The heat you are running in defenitely requires water, I presume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the heat here is a killer. So you use a belt as well Count? What is your favorite power boosting fuel? I've tried the gels and don't like most of them - Powerbar gel strawberry banana is the only one I'm ok with so far

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tried a Camelbak for the first time and I love it...much better than my fuel belt and it wasn't even that heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80s are a huge enough difference than 90s to me, it must feel like winter compared to the 100s for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! Keep getting it done. Yes, as the "anchor", you aren't supposed to drag the team down. Get it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again for the positive words - Nitmos the depths of your prodigious wit is measured not with anchor chains but rather offshore drilling platforms!

    ReplyDelete